Senior Sustainability Consultant, London - Salterbaxter UK Senior Sustainability Consultant
Reporting into the Director of Consulting and Communications, you will be joining the team as a Senior Consultant responsible for managing and growing your own clients, and winning new business, with a specific focus on sustainability strategy and reporting.
The function works in close collaboration with the client partnership and client service functions, as well as design and production.
You will offer council, advice, insight and solutions that help facilitate sustainable
client growth and reputation, as well as deliver impactful change. You will find, secure and deliver on business development needs and bring expert sustainability knowledge and insight to the agency.
What’s expected from the function as a whole:
As the senior client lead across multiple projects, you will provide subject matter insight, ideas and strategic direction based on a robust knowledge of sustainability, across three main pillars of deliverables: strategy frameworks, reporting strategy, stakeholder engagement.
You will be responsible for contributing to the overall Consulting & Communications team new business annual target by leading and winning new opportunities, responding to client RFPs, working with the team to scope and cost projects.
In addition to staying abreast of specific global trends, client regulatory issues and multi sector best practice developments, you will bring your own areas of expertise and passion points that you will be encouraged to share with the team and via our various thought leadership platforms and publications.
Work collaboratively with the other client functions and across the agency - ensuring the successful delivery of projects and client relationships as "one team"
- Develop and bring deep understanding of the client businesses and issues, sectors and wider trends and insights in sustainability - use this knowledge to build valuable relationships with clients, develop solutions and deliver impactful work
- Stay up to date and continually develop sustainability knowledge and insight, ensuring that knowledge and insight is distributed across the agency - knowledge shares, mentoring more junior members of team and playing a critical friend role on projects
- Find, lead on, contribute to and secure business development opportunities - whether through own networks, collaborating with the biz dev team or responding to client development opportunities
- Proactively and professionally respond to client needs and objectives - instigate, take, interrogate and shape client briefs. Ensure the health and growth of all accounts.
- Act upon the commercial needs of agency, drive commercial management strategies (internally and with clients) and deliver work to the financial success of the agency
The role in detail:
An experienced and knowledgeable senior sustainability consultant who offers advice and council across a range of more complex client challenges. May bring a specialism in particular sector or practice area. Independently delivers high quality work, strategic thinking and solutions. Plays an active role in bringing up to date sustainability knowledge into the agency.
- Extensive issue knowledge across a range of different sustainability challenges, issues, systems, trends and approaches - this could be practice (i.e. strategy, reporting, stakeholder engagement, communications, etc.) specific
- Working with Directors or independently, apply insight, ideas and critical and strategic thinking to successfully solve client challenges
- Confidently advise and present to clients, being able to think on your feet and respond quickly to changing client needs - seen as a trusted and credible advisor
- Understand client mind-set, reputation aims, growth agenda and overall corporate priorities to spot ways in which the agency can support.
- Working with Directors or independently, facilitate and build client relationships - i.e. lead in workshops, facilitate meetings and be a collaborative partner
- Capture, synthesize and communicate client challenges, whether than be in written briefs or verbally, to ensure that the agency delivers the right response
- Working with Directors or independently, act upon and secure business development opportunities - develop pitch responses, collaborate to understand what the client will buy and deliver pitch outputs to a consistently high quality
- When needed, able to execute financial management strategies and tasks to ensure projects are always deliver a return for the business
- Have a developed network and portfolio of experts to call upon to the benefit of clients and the business
- Able to communicate own point of view to drive the reputation of the business and differentiate us through thought leadership, marketing and client outreach
- May line manage one or two junior members of the team, setting clear objectives that deliver on the team plan set by D of C&C, helping to achieve training aims and conducting H1&H2 appraisals
- Minimum of 5 years of sustainability experience, with demonstrable exposure to large and complex types of consultancy and client challenges – strategy, communications, stakeholder engagement or reporting
- Ideally have a formal qualification in a related sustainability field
- Must have experience on and be able to meet stretching financial targets across revenue, business development and profit margin
- Agency, proposal-writing and pitching success is a must
Personal qualities and skills:
- Proactive, organised and meticulous – passionate about keeping promises, meeting deadlines and solving problems
- Able to think outside of the box and uncover creative and credible solutions
- Professional in outlook and a proven team player
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to respond and adapt to a range of situations and contexts
- Ability to work in an agile manner and adapt to fast changing requests – internally and externally
- Comfortable working in a small and ambitious team within a large agency structure
- Digitally savvy, active on social channels and passionate about sustainability, brands and communications
If you would like to be considered for this role please send your CV and cover letter to Subhani Rawat, Head of People.
For details on how we use your personal information, see our Privacy Notice.