Director of Consultancy & Communications, London - Salterbaxter UK Director of Consultancy & Communications
The director of Consultancy and Communications heads up our sustainability advisory function, overseeing and driving our core sustainability consultancy work, partnering closely with our client service functions, as well as design and production.
The Consultancy and Communications team offers council, advice, insight and solutions that deliver leading sustainability, governance and engagement strategies across multiple sectors and topics. With the help of the new business team, the C&C team finds, secures and delivers on business development needs and brings expert sustainability knowledge and insight to the agency.
What’s expected from the function as a whole:
- Work collaboratively with the other client functions and across the agency - ensuring the successful delivery of projects and client relationships as "one team"
- Be a trusted, professional and credible advisory team
- Develop and bring deep understanding of the client businesses and issues, sectors and wider trends and insights in sustainability - use this knowledge to build valuable relationships with clients, develop solutions and deliver impactful work
- Stay up to date and continually develop sustainability knowledge and insight, ensuring that knowledge and insight is distributed across the agency - knowledge shares, mentoring more junior members of team and playing a critical friend role on projects
- Find, lead on, contribute to and secure business development opportunities - whether through own networks, collaborating with the biz dev team or responding to client development opportunities
- Proactively and professionally respond to client needs and objectives - instigate, take, interrogate and shape client briefs. Ensure the health and growth of all accounts.
- Act upon the commercial needs of agency, drive commercial management strategies (internally and with clients) and deliver work to the financial success of the agency
The role in detail:
An experienced and knowledgeable sustainability Director who offers advice and council across a range of more complex client challenges. May bring a specialism in a particular sector or practice area. Oversees the delivery of high quality work, strategic thinking and solutions. Ensures sustainability credibility and knowledge within team and plays an active role in bringing up to date sustainability knowledge into the agency. Responsible for the overall direction and strategic management of the team and sits on the agency management team.
- Able to bring extensive and expert issue knowledge across a range of different sustainability challenges, issues, systems, trends and approaches
- Expertly able to apply insight, ideas and critical and strategic thinking to successfully solve complex and high-profile client challenges across own portfolio of work
- Confidently able to advise and present to clients, being able to think on your feet and respond quickly to changing client needs - seen as a senior level trusted and credible advisor
- Expert in understanding client mind-set, reputation aims, growth agenda and overall corporate priorities to spot ways in which the agency can support – able to support others to do the same.
- Able to facilitate and build successful and profitable client relationships - i.e. lead in workshops, facilitate meetings, apply strategic relationship strategies and be a collaborative partner at all times – able to support others to the same
- Expert in capturing, synthesizing and communicating client challenges, whether than be in written briefs or verbally, to ensure that the agency delivers the right response – oversee others to do the same
- Successfully oversee and work within project teams, consistently finding ways to get the best from others and deliver great work for clients
- Oversee overall quality of consultancy outputs and advice across the team
- Working closely and collaboratively with the client partnership function, play an active role in client development overseeing implementation of client development plans and strategies
- Lead on, contribute to and oversee team so that the function as a whole can successfully act upon and secure business development opportunities - develop pitch responses, collaborate to understand what the client will buy and deliver pitch outputs to a consistently high quality
- Play a key role in opening up opportunities through profile building, networking, thought leadership and marketing – working with the Director of Strategy where appropriate
- Able to demonstrate leadership to ensure business development strategies, plans and process are followed for the success of the agency
- Take an active role in business development meetings, working closely and collaboratively with the new business team to help deliver on strategic plans and opportunities
Team and Business Leadership
In conjunction with Group Client Director:
- Hold weekly and monthly team meetings
- Oversee weekly resourcing needs and long-term planning across the team – implement and oversee success of relevant processes and monitoring tools
- Oversee, review and manage team revenue and new business targets and needs – implement and oversee success of relevant processes and monitoring tools
- Oversee the commercial success of client accounts and wider agency needs
- Responsible for overall team leadership as well as line management of more senior members of the team – develop team plans, oversee and implement objective setting, advocate for and identify training needs and conduct and oversee appraisal process
- In conjunction with Group Client Director and Client Service Director oversee the financial health of all accounts, contributing to the implementation of successful financial strategies and processes
- As part of the management team responsible for reviewing performance and agreeing agency priorities across agency offer, business development, revenue targets, people, client development and knowledge and skills building
- Contribute to all other agency management needs and demonstrate leadership at all levels
- Have a developed network and portfolio of experts to call upon to the benefit of clients and the business
- Minimum of 7-10 years of sustainability experience, with demonstrable exposure to large and complex consultancy and client challenges – strategy, communications, stakeholder engagement or reporting
- Must have a formal qualification in a related sustainability field
- Must have agency experience
- Must have experience on and be able to meet stretching financial targets across revenue, business development and profit margin
Personal qualities and skills:
- Proactive, organised and meticulous – passionate about meeting deadlines and solving problems
- Able to think outside of the box and uncover creative and credible solutions
- Professional in outlook and a proven team player
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to respond and adapt to a range of situations and contexts
- Ability to work in an agile manner and adapt to fast changing requests – internally and externally
- Comfortable working in a small and ambitious team within a large agency structure
- Digitally savvy, active on social channels and passionate about sustainability, brands and communications
If you would like to be considered for this role please send your CV and cover letter to Subhani Rawat, Head of People.
For details on how we use your personal information, see our Privacy Notice.